
Daddy Kong here. Can you believe that I went to a WalMart in Nanchang, China? WalMart is everywhere. Just for fun I thought I would give a rundown of my excursion. There are three KFCs right outside of the WalMart. One of them is the top grossing store for KFC. Our guide told us that KFC was the first fast food restaurant to come to Nanchang and because of that they have out paced McDonalds. We drove past WalMart and made a 6 lane road U-turn with our bus that included stopping traffic on both side of the road. We got to the entrance and walked into the mall area of the WalMart. The mall is anchored by WalMart and has quite a few shops on the lower level. The WalMart was a Super Center and is 2 stories high. When we walked in it looked like any other WalMart in America. They have all the big price signs and the colors are the same. Once you look a little closer it gets more interesting.

My mission was to get some size 3 diapers and a few snacks. Our guide led us to the baby section where I was greeted by diaper sizes ranging from Small to XL. There were no numbers and the best part is that the weights were in kg, as should be expected. This did not help me. I got help from our guide and found out the Medium was our size. As I went through the aisles on my own I noticed that they put products in the aisles just like in America, but the step it up in Nanchang. They actually have employees in the aisles telling customers about the products and using sales tactics to get people to buy the products. It was funny. As I rounded the produce area I notice some microphone feedback and then heard a lady going crazy on a headset mic. She was walking around the produce section talking about the different specials they had on produce. I did not understand a word she was saying, nor could I even tell you what the produce was. I recognized very little of the produce she was offering. I then decided to try a different floor. As I ventured through the store with my cart I realized that it may be hard to move carts between floors, but I soon found out that it was not a problem. WalMart had an escalator that allows you to take your cart up and down between the floors. Pretty cool. . . The carts even had brakes so that you did not need to hold it. Also note in the picture all of the stuff being sold on the sides of the escalator. WalMart does not waste any sales space.
I ended up finding some Oreos (I only knew they were Oreos via the picture of an Oreo and the color of the package), some Lays potato chips and some Keebler fudge type cookies (recognized only by the picture. . . I sure hope it really is chocolate), Cheetos (which I found out that China has more that cheese flavored. . I could not tell you what flavor we got) and lastly some Coke Light (apparently the word Diet does not exist here). I proceeded to check out I found the familiar lines to checkout. The best part about waiting in line is that we got to hear loud music that we did not understand. Quite an experience at this WalMart.
Fuzhou Time